Whether you like to call them mash-ups, smooshes, compound names, or something else, it’s always fun to find or create names that mash two names together into one. It’s a great way to explore language, and sometimes you can find a new and unexpected appellation that way. Here is a list of real girls’ names for the creative mind to construct and deconstruct from two other names! Most of these probably aren’t meant to be mash-ups (indeed, many are unique and unconventional spellings), but who doesn’t love name games? All the mash-ups are listed with the number of baby girls who received the name in 2021, according to data from the Social Security Administration. If rare and uncommon baby names are your thing, I think you’ll enjoy these mashes too – only one of them is in the top 1000.
- Adaleine = Adeline + Madeleine. 8 girls were named Adaleine in 2021.
- Adamari = Ada + Amari. 32 girls were named Adamari in 2021.
- Adamaris = Ada + Stellamaris, Adam + Damaris. 37 girls.
- Alyssandra = Alyssa + Alessandra. 20 girls. This may be a genuine mashup in some cases.
- Amberley = Amber + Emberly. 28 girls.
- Ameliana = Amelia + Emiliana. This maximalist version of Amelia was used 40 times.
- Ariellie = Aria + Ellie, Ariel + Ellie. 6 girls.
- Arianelly = Ariana + Nelly, Ariana + Annalee, Ariana + Nayeli. 26 girls.
- Avangeline = Ava + Evangeline. 23 girls.
- Baisley = Bailey + Paisley, Bailey + Haisley. 12 girls
- Bellanie = Bellamy + Melanie. 8 girls.
- Brystal = Bristol + Crystal. 14 girls.
- Callaway = Calla + Calloway. 41 girls.
- Delaila = Delilah + Laila. 9 girls.
- Delayah = Delaney + Malaya, Delaney + Leia. 9 girls
- Elizabella = Elizabeth + Isabella, Elizabeth + Arabella. 21 girls.
- Elliotte = Elliot + Charlotte. 53 girls.
- Elouise = Eloise + Louise. 216 girls.
- Embersyn = Ember + Emersyn. 6 girls.
- Emmarie = Emma + Marie, Emily + Marie. 174 girls.
- Eunique = Eunice + Unique. 10 girls.
- Francely = Frances + Aracely. 10 girls.
- Giabella = Gianna + Isabella. 24 girls.
- Gwendalynn = Gwendolyn + Adalynn. 10 girls.
- Havanna = Havana + Savannah, Haven + Savanna. 15 girls.
- Hayeslee = Hayes + Haisley, Hayes + Paislee. 5 girls.
- Hazeley = Hazel + Haisley, Hazel + Paisley. 9 girls
- Janellie = Jane + Ellie. In reality, probably a variant of Yaneli? 8 girls.
- Jenesis = Jennifer + Genesis. 379 girls with a national rank of #745. This is the only popular mashup baby name I list here.
- Jeweliana = Jewel + Juliana. 5 girls.
- Lauralai + Laura + Lorelai. 5 girls.
- Lehlani = Leilani + Kehlani. 43 girls. Like Alyssandra, I suspect this is a genuine mashup.
- Lydiann = Lydia + Ann. 11 girls.
- Maevery = Maeve + Avery. 17 girls.
- Maisley = Maisie + Haisley, Maisie + Paisley. 35 girls.
- Makinsley = Makayla + Kinsley, Makenzie + Kinsley. 19 girls.
- Marilena = Maria + Elena, Maria + Helena. 21 girls.
- Marleaux = Marlowe + Beaux, Marlowe + Devereaux. 5 girls.
- Melaney = Melanie + Delaney. In reality, the pronunciation is probably identical to Melanie. 8 girls.
- Myrcella = Myrtle + Marcella. I know, I know…Myrcella comes from Game of Thrones, but I can dream! 5 girls.
- Parys = Paris + Carys. 9 girls.
- Pauleth = Paulette + Arleth, Paula + Arleth. 13 girls.
- Persephanie = Persephone + Stephanie. 6 girls.
- Reigna = Reign + Rayna. 33 girls.
- Renesmee = Renee + Esme. The original name smoosh! 161 girls.
- Roselani = Rose + Leilani, Rose + Kehlani. 9 girls.
- Serinity = Serenity + Trinity. 19 girls.
- Sophonie = Sophie + Stephanie. 5 girls.
- Taylani = Taylor + Leilani, Taylor + Kehlani. 16 girls.
- Tayleigh = Taylor + Kayleigh. 12 girls.
- Zoella = Zoe + Ella. 28 girls.
One of my favorite name mash-ups didn’t even make the 2021 data. Gwenevieve (Guinevere + Genevieve) has popped up a few times starting in 2008. You could also mix Gwendolyn and Lillian to get Gwenllian, which is a Welsh name…however, the double ‘l’ sounds different in Welsh than in English, so just be mindful. Other possible mash-ups include Hermione (from Hermia and Ione), Isadora (Isabella + Theodora), Tallulah (Talia + Lula), Jaylannie (Jayla + Annie), and Davinity (Davina + Divinity).
What are some of your favorite baby name mash-ups? Would you ever consider using one? Let me know and read the boys’ list!
4 thoughts on “Baby Name Mash-Ups: Girls Edition”
Smooshes are lots of fun and I like quite a few of these, I guess Elouise is my most favourite. . And I like the idea of Myrcella being a mashup of Myrtle and Marcella. Ameliana reminds me of a mashup of my own first and middle name that I sometimes use – Emilianna. – Speaking of that, I also use Emisha as a sort of collective name for myself and my cat – Misha – (Russian blue, so male) and I think that would make a gorgeous standalone feminine smooshed name as well – perhaps Emily & or something less obvious like Emmeline & Ishbel. 😀 –
Never thought of Gwenllian possibly working as a smoosh of Gwendolyn and Lillian but it’s a cool idea, though the different phonetics would definitely get in the way here indeed. But Lilwen and Liliwen are actually a thing as far as I know.
I came across Angelise a while back and found it quite adorable.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love Lilwen and Liliwen! And you’re not the first person I’ve met who sometimes mashes their first and middle name together.
LikeLiked by 1 person
The name Marina is a mashup of my first and middle names but with the positions of the names reversed.
My favorite smoosh name has always been Katiana, given to 6 girls in 2021. Or maybe Katriana, given to 5 girls. I also love smoosh names for girls ending in -laine like Roselaine and some of the Kai smoosh names for boys. Darn Star Wars for ruining Kylo a bit!
If I had a girl, I might use Malianora. Maliliana is fun, too. Emililiana/Emmaliliana is probably a syllable too far, though. Ah, well.
LikeLiked by 1 person