I posted some rare ‘J’ names for girls earlier this week, and now it’s time for the boys’ names! ‘J’ is an intriguing letter for me because so many of the rarest masculine ‘J’ names are super-modern, related to John, or obscure Bible names. There are also a ton of compound names that use the initial…
- 150-200 boys named: Juelz,* Jovani, Joan,* Jadon, Jesiah, Jean, Johann, Jarvis, Jakari
- 100-149: Jet, Jael, Jai, Jovan, Josias, Jethro, Jarrett, Jonael, Jacen, Johnpaul, Jeremih, Jordi, Jakai, Jariel, Jahlil, Jones, Jaquan, Josh, Jamel
- 50-99: Jelani, Jaron, Jaleel, Jamarcus, Jamil, Judd, Jahir, Josef, Jackie, Jan, Jules, Job, Jacobo, Jeshua, Jasiel, Jacques, Jaheim, Jayvon, Jencarlos, Johnson, Javen, Jahaziel, Jeronimo, Juancarlos, Jed, Jedediah, Jareth, Jennings, Jeriah, Jibril, Joseluis, Jawad, Jasir, Jiraiya, Jeff, Juanpablo, Jomar, Johannes, Jayshawn, Joao, Jeancarlos
- 25-49: Jairus, Javonte, Joah, Jody, Jafet, Jediah, Jory, Jacorey, Jae, Jim, Joniel, Jupiter, Jansen, Javari, Japheth, Jathan, Johnluke, Joseangel, Jerrick, Jancarlos, Jidenna, Jowell, Jacolby, Jahziel, Jaasiel, Jaeger, Jakayden, Jatniel, Josemanuel, Jamichael, Jedi, Jeter, Jun, Jin, Jayan, Jireh, Joab, Judge, Jadarius, Jayton, Jebediah, Jetson, Jotham, Jr, Juwan, Jancarlo, Jaxiel, Johndavid, Johnmichael, Jacinto, Juliano, Jajuan, Javontae, Jj
- 10-24: Jabez, Jabriel, Jeanluc, Jens, Jeb, Judas, Jahan, Jc, Jehu, Johandry, Jacek, Janoah, Jaymar, Jd, Jayquan, Joachim, Jobe, Johnhenry, Jalal, Javaris, Jeevan, Joaquim, Joash, Josemiguel, Josmar, Juandiego, Jaaziel, Jahi, Jaking, Jarom, Jezreel, Jubal, Jaaziah, Jadriel, Jak, Jaklani, Jamerson, Jantzen, Jarek, Jayvier, Jeancarlo, Josemaria, Josey, Jurgen, Jamis, Jashon, Jerel, Jessejames, Josean, Joss, Jamario, Jaysean, Jeanpaul, Jedaiah, Jibran, Javaughn, Jeanpierre, Jedrek, Juanito, Jackston, Jacorian, Jah, Jathniel, Jep, Juanjose, Juanmanuel, Jachai, Jari, Javid, Josafat, Josedejesus, Judea, Jahlani, Jamesmichael, Jermari, Jimi, Jago, Jaiveer, Jandiel, Jasher, Jasraj, Jatavious, Joas, Joeangel, Johnmark, Johnston, Jolan, Jshawn
- 9: Jabir, Jaidev, Jakota, Jaquavion, Jazier, Jeyko, Jowel, Juda, Justino, Juvenal
- 8: Jadeveon, Jahaziah, Jakyree, Jamesley, Jepson, Jessup, Johncarlos, Johndaniel, Jorawar, Josejulian, Jrake, Jt, Jud, Juliocesar
- 7: Jackman, Jacks, Jahad, Jamarco, Jamason, Jamond, Jamoni, Jaquarius, Jatavion, Javarion, Jayansh, Jedikiah, Jemini, Jermarion, Jeshurun, Jex, Jiho, Jiles, Johnthomas, Josuel, Jove, Jujhar, Junius
- 6: Jabbar, Jahriel, Jakaleb, Janthony, Jaquise, Jasdeep, Jaser, Jayale, Javius, Jayanth, Jayro, Jb, Jeet, Jehan, Jehovah, Jenaro, Jenkins, Jenziel, Jephthah, Jesper, Jigme, Joaovictor, Johnoliver, Jonavin, Josedaniel, Joshuel, Juden, Juniel, Junot
- 5: Jabdiel, Jadis, Jafari, Jahongir, Jainil, Jakyle, Jakyren, Jalijah, Jalyric, Jamespaul, Jamontae, Janvier, Jayland, Jebidiah, Jehiel, Jem, Jemuel, Jermayne, Jermichael, Jerusalem, Jerzy, Jester, Jesusangel, Jey, Jiro, Jjesus, Joanthony, Joaopedro, Jodhveer, Jonathandavid, Jonluke, Jonta, Jonuel, Josealberto, Josealfredo, Josepablo, Joxiel, Juanangel, Juandedios, Junhee, Junjie, Junyu, Justo, Juventino, Jyree
- Juelz is more popular than Jules. Hmm…
- Early and mid-20th century women’s staples Joan, Jean, and Jan were more popular for boys in 2016 than they were for girls. Joan is a Catalan/Occitan form of John, Jean is the French form, and Jan is the Polish version.
- Jupiter was more popular as a girls’ name in 2016, despite being the name of a major male deity. The movie Jupiter Ascending is probably the reason for this flip.
Do you have a favorite ‘J’ name for boys? Do any of the above appeal to you? Let me know!
One thought on “Rare ‘J’ Baby Names for Boys in 2016”
Fabulous list! All of my favourite J names for boys are on here… bar one — you missed Jess! Given to 30 baby boys in the US last year. Love it!