Like the letter ‘F’, the paucity of names starting with ‘G’ means I can fit the girls’ and boys’ names into one post! Right now, we’re still looking at America’s rare baby names of 2016, because the 2017 data isn’t due out until May. A perpetual issue with naming trends is that the people watching them have information that’s at least a year or two old; what was popular or rare in 2016 might not be in 2017 or 2018.
- 150-220: Gracyn, Geneva, Giada, Gretchen, Grecia
- 100-149: Guinevere, Geraldine, Gitty, Georgina, Goldie, Glory, Georgiana
- 50-99: Gaia, Greer, Gladys, Gigi, Gretel, Ginger, Gala, Griselda, Gianella
- 25-49: Gisela, Galilee, Golda, Gittel, Goddess, Gertrude, Glenda, Greenlee, Gurnoor, Germany, Gelila, Gioia
- 10-24: Georgette, Ginny, Getsemani, Gypsy, Gail, Greicy, Gemini, Gracia, Gwynn, Gaelle, Galaxy, Gurleen, Gloriana, Galia, Golden, Garnet, Ginevra, Gem, Genoveva, Giabella, Gorgeous, Gauri, Geet, Gladis, Girl, Glenna, Gurbani, Gurseerat, Genesee, Ghazal, Gwendoline
- 7-9: Gardenia, Gayatri, Gilda, Gayle, Graciana, Gabbanelli, Galena, Genavie, Genova, Gita, Giuseppina, Graceland, Gracious, Gurman, Gurnaaz, Gwenevieve
- 6: Galina, Gamila, Geethika, Geisha, Genisys, Gethsemane, Gidget, Gregoria, Gwenna
- 5: Galadriel, Garland, Gavrielle, Geri, Gift, Giordana, Glorious, Gohar, Gredmarie
- 150-192: Gino, Glenn, German, Gianluca, Gerard
- 100-149: Gatlin, Guy, Gonzalo, Graeme, Gerson, Granger, Gareth
- 50-99: Gentry, Grayden, Gadiel, Geoffrey, Gene, Gregorio
- 25-49: Gotham, Geronimo, Gamaliel, Garrick, Godric, Giuliano, Galen, Gil, Gaspar, Gaston, Gibran, Gaines, Gautham, Gustav, Gohan, Gershon, Gaetano, Gryphon
- 10-24: Gennaro, Gaius, Garner, Galvin, Gerrit, Gianfranco, Gurfateh, Galileo, Gerry, Gianmarco, Ghassan, Gunther, Godwin, Gates, Gatsby, Giles, Grover, Gaddiel, Guthrie, Grafton, Grantley, Gurveer, Gehrig, General, Gildardo, Goku, Griffey, Garth, Glendon, Griffith, Gable, Gamble, Gannicus, Gennady, Granite, Grantham, Grayer, Garvey, Godson
- 7-9: Gad, Garrus, Ghazi, Great, Gresham, Gurshan, Gale, Garv, Gerhard, Gin, Godfrey, Gurjot, Gardner, Garyson, Gaspard, Gaurav, Gedalya, Giordano, Gopal, Greighson, Grigor, Grisham, Grizzly, Gustave, Gyasi
- 6: Gadsden, Ganza, Garang, Geoff, Gershom, Gilmer, Godswill, Govani, Griezmann
- 5: Garvin, Gilead, Gioele, Glynn, Golan, Goliath, Gordy, Gregson, Guillaume, Gurkirat
Do you have a favorite ‘G’ name? Any thoughts about the names above? Let me know in the comments!
5 thoughts on “Rare ‘G’ Baby Names in 2016”
Ooh, Guinevere, Gaia and Ginevra are such favourites of mine!
I’m not so keen on G- boys’ names, for some reason. If I had to pick: Gaspar, Gaetano (or Gaetan), Gryphon (love Griffin!)… maybe even Gatsby.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yeah, I’ve definitely noticed a different style between the girls’ and boys’ names for this letter. For the girls there’s this sense of vintage glamor, like names from old Hollywood or the 1920s! I still have some favorites among the boys’ though, like Godfrey.
I love Galadriel. Gatsby is interesting — not sure I’d use it though!
LikeLiked by 1 person
And where’s my name?